Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Planning a Change: Paper or Electronic Calendars

"Let me get my planner and check and see what's on the calendar."

I have always had a paper calendar. I just prefer paper. It's got that tangible, put-my-hands-on-it feel.  In the past, I have used Day Runner, Filofax, Planner Pads, and WeekDates.  Any calendar will work if you use it.  Having more than one calendar is worse than no calendar at all since you will miss half the events.  Even when I thought I was techie cool, because I was editing my calendar on the computer--I was still printing a copy to carry or post on the fridge.  I discovered Google Calendar years ago and tried to get my family to check for days that we were committed to an appointment or activity, but they wouldn't bite. They'd just ask me and I'd have to print it out.

Until...cue the scary music, I got my new tablet. It has great ways to sync contacts, appointments and maps. It just takes a little getting used to.  I decided not to ease myself in slowly like getting into a chilly pool a little at a time, but rather jumped in with both feet tuck up in a cannonball. First, there was the data entry. I entered birthdays, vacations, appointments, and meetings for the rest of the year. I kept forgetting to click done and would have to start over again. Sigh.. stick with it girl. Finally, I closed the book on my faux leather planner and tucked it in a drawer...well... just in case this didn't work out.  I was a little uncomfortable for a few days. Each time something came up, I entered the new appointments getting a little faster each time.

Trying any new system for organizing space or time is a process of reorienting yourself.  There may be some discomfort in letting go of old ways. It takes commitment to embrace something new.  I'm happy to say, I'm doing well with this new system. I can check the calendar on my phone, tablet, or laptop.  I feel secure about being able to find appointments AND I can even use a "search" feature if I want to find an appointment that I don't remember.
My nervousness at the beginning of this transition reminds me of a client who was resisting my suggestions that she not print so many of the recipes that she had found on-line.
"But, but, what if the whole internet system collapses?", she said fearfully.
"Then what to fix for dinner will not be our biggest problem!"



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?