Wednesday, May 11, 2011

What to Keep? Your True Self

It's true.  I got MacGyver skills.  In half a century, I have amassed a wonderful array of skills that I bring in to play as the situation dictates.  Water main break at the beach house?  I know we can flush the toilet using a bucket of water from the pool. (This skill comes from a summer job mopping floors.)  I have a penchant for power tools, have canned foods from my garden, scrap-booked, scuba dived and traveled.  My skills have come from hobbies, jobs, and life experiences. It's like a Swiss Army knife, some tools for work and some tools for fun (wine opener), and you bring each one out when the occasion arises.  They are part of who I have become, but do not in themselves define me.

I said all that to tell you this.  You can let go of things from your past, because the events, memories and skills are now an inseparable part of you.   If you have traveled, you do not need save every scrap of memorabilia from that trip. Keep one ticket from the Disney World extravaganza, not the parking pass, not the brochure, and not the map.  If you love to cook, not every cookbook or recipe is equally important to keep.  Build your own book of favorites and search on-line for new ones. If you like sports, keeping every issue of the magazines doesn't make you more fit or a better player.  If you got your degree, keeping your old college textbooks and notes is no longer necessary. If you are reading this blog, you are most likely able to navigate well enough on-line to get the information you need when you need it.  The beauty of the Swiss Army knife lies in its simplicity and compactness.  Lots of tools in a small space.

So go forth, and free up space.  Empty closets. Clean the shelves. If it is not who you are now, let it go. Let go of the canner and Mason jars, you have nothing to prove by keeping it in the basement.  Let go of the roller blades, and the dusty camp gear.  Been there. Done that. Don't need the T-shirt!

2 comments:

  1. So true. Recently cleaned the basement and rid ourselves of a ridiculous amount of magazines and old memrobilia. What was left was space!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, my memories keep me warm at night, not my stuff! This is a great reminder that we are filled to the brim inside with what matters.

    ReplyDelete

Comments?